Navigation
News
GoldCoastCB Forum -- May 26, 2018, 08:00:25 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Broken GME 3800  (Read 1542 times)
number7

« on: July 21, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »

Found a radio in a box - cant remember where it came from - after a chat with Bundy about it he tells me it is 25w commercial

When I powered it up I found it does not work.

I decided I should do the right thing and hand it in to the ACMA,    laughing7    but thought I would try to get it working for them first

Looks ok to me inside but I discovered small broken piece of something stuck to the magnet in the speaker. I can see where this piece has come from (right next to red power wire in pic) and am now wondering what it is and if it is
a part I can buy and replace easily

As I am not an electronics expert I am posting here to see if anyone else can help to identify the broken part and give me some repair advise

Check out the pics - any help much appreciated                perhaps up your alley  Wood Chopping

* 16070003.jpg (934.97 KB, 3552x2000 - viewed 84 times.)

* 16070002.jpg (1045.43 KB, 3552x2000 - viewed 90 times.)
Thunderbird

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »

Looks like its blown apart "some" surface mounted part, hard to say from the photos.

You'd need to get a service manual or a schematic diagram.

You may be lucky in that some idiot has put a huge fuse in it and connected the power backwards, and it might be an easy fix.

Does it have a fuse? If so try putting in say a 2 amp fuse and just powering it up to test for receive, (don't TRANSMIT), if it receives ok, then maybe that blown apart part may have just been the reverse polarity protection diode and thus an easy fix.

Grandpa Wood Chopping

"If a clutered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign."  Albert Einstein

Well, I have the cluttered desk, I guess that's a start!
number7

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:34:34 PM »

Thanks  Wood Chopping

No fuse inside - was hoping to find a blown one when I opened it up.

I will have another look another day - maybe try continuity test the blown component - if it is a diode I should be able to bridge it and maybe get the thing to work.

Might to a bit of googling see if i can find any kind of wiring diagram for it might at least identify the broken part         Australia Flag
Thunderbird

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

If that part is the polarity protection diode, it may have gone short circuit, check it with you multimeter, if it had just cut it in the middle with sharp side cutters to test the radio.

Damn, no fuse!

It should have one somewhere, is there one in the power leads?

While you are testing with a meter, check across the power leads with the radio switched on and with it switched off, any short there will probably be that diode, cut it out or better still desolder it.

Put a new one in later on and a FUSE!! If / when it starts working  Grandpa

Good luck,

Wood Chopping Smoking

"If a clutered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign."  Albert Einstein

number7

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »

yer it has a fuse in the positive lead but it is ok

again I cannot remember where this radio came from so dunno when or why it broke

More testing required   Wood Chopping   book1
Thunderbird

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »

Its good that there is a fuse, check the value of it as I have a suspicion its bigger than it should be.

Ive seen old cigarette tin foil used in many a mobile radio with disastrous results  Crazy

Do cigarettes even have that tin foil stuff in the packs anymore? I gave up in 1990  Grandpa

Smoking Wood Chopping

cOOter

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:44 PM »

The broken bit on the speaker should have a part number on it (on the side that's stuck on the speaker)

Carefully pull it off and post the details, if any.

book1
number7

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »

Nah Cooter no numbers visible on the part   icon_scratch

I will do some more testing etc next time I get motivated enough         Crazy

Where did the pics go??

Not sure about the ciggie pack foil  Wood Chopping  Nothing like that comes in my rollie packs....    Smoking
cOOter

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »

Where did the pics go??
???
They are there. I can see them. You got ur glasses on today?  Grandpa
number7

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 05:34:27 PM »

oh    found em Crazy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to:  

Anone designed by pixelslot.